Wednesday, September 26, 2012

He took the flag


I am reminded from time to time that the universe conspires to make us laugh if we remember not to take things so seriously.

I so rarely leave my house during the day but this past Monday I left and went to the Twin Cities for the day.

I returned home at 7pm only to find my 20’ flag pole and flag missing.

Yes, you read that right. 

The flag pole that my late husband, a Vietnam veteran put up in pride was missing.

It was just gone.  Totally gone.

After filing police report, making several calls, and stewing for a few hours it came to light that my lawn service accidentally hit the flag pole with the mower, bent it and couldn’t fix it so they cut it down and took it to the flag shop. 

The owner understood the sentimental value and was having a hard time telling me about it. 

Obviously they agreed to fix it.

What we all understood is that you can fix / replace the physical aspect but they can’t replace the emotional / sentimental aspect given that Bill bought the flag pole from the VFW, put the flag pole up and flew the flag proudly as a veteran.

Some things just can’t be replaced.

I was angry, frustrated, sad, and just plain tired.

So where, you ask, is the humor I mentioned at the beginning?

At 2:30am I woke up laughing and thought “Bill must have read my blog from Labor Day and decided he needed to divorce me too so he took the flag”. 

(You have to read the blog titled “Labor Day Weekend / Cleaning Stuff” and read it all the way through to understand this comment.)

As my son said, “Dad’s flag is gone.  The next flag that goes up, Mom, is yours.”

Touché, Bill, touché.

And I’m laughing.






Copyright DayJOY, LLC.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment