Friday, April 6, 2012

Laid to rest


The flag draped coffin
Standing so, so still
In the center room
Amid the quiet on the hill

The cold was bitter then
The snow had been quite deep
But Patriot Guards in spite  
Of being cold their vigil keep

Brief words were said
Til nothing left to say
The flag folded with care
Soldiers salute one last time

One soldier walked to me
To look me in the eye
He bent his knee
And said the words said still

On behalf of the
President of the United States
and the people of a grateful nation,
may I present this flag as a
token of appreciation for the
honorable and faithful service
your loved one rendered this nation.

I clutched the flag the soldier offered
My tears they freely fell
My heart was ever breaking
I wish I had you still

The soldier turned and walked away
One soldier laid to rest in hallowed ground.





Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment