Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Division of labor


Chores.
What an interesting thought.
It seems to me we always had
A division of labor in chores.

You did this
I did that

You always handled:
Anything involving a remote control
Anything using a small engine
Anything involving a large engine
Starting anything with a pull cord
Anything involving electricity
Anything involving power tools
Maintenance of everything
Installing software
Getting stuff out of the top cabinets
Critter control
Pest control
The BBQ grill
Indoor cooking
Winding the clocks
Bringing me flowers
Giving me a shoulder to cry on
Giving me hugs
Making me feel safe
Making me feel loved

Wow that’s a lot!
Did I mention I miss you?

I always handled:
Back seat driving
Telling you to turn at the intersection not before
That the exit we needed was the one we just passed
Giving you advice whether you wanted it or not
Giving a 10 minute answer to a yes or no question
Illogical ramblings that made no sense to you
(if they had, they would have been logical ramblings,
and oh what’s the point of that, see what I mean?)
Laundry
Giving you hugs
Loving you

Joking aside, I sigh.

I’m exhausted you see
Trying to be us
Especially now when
It’s just me.

I ponder this thought
While winding the clocks
What choices to make
What gets handled or dropped?

So I hug myself
As I check the locks
What choices to make 
What gets handled or dropped?




Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment